Home » Insulation and Material Data for Litz Wire
Please click each of the Tabs below.
3. Continuous service operating temperature(℃) / 4. Short-term operating temperature(℃) / 5. Melting temperature(℃) / 6. Flame behavior
7a. Relative permittivity εr at 50Hz / 7b. Relative permittivity εr at 1MHz / 8. Dielectric loss factor tanδ at 1MHz / 9. Breakdown voltage(kV/mm) / 10. Surface resistivity(Ω)
13. Flexibility / 14. Abrasion resistance / 15. Tensile strength(MPa) / 16. Elongation at breaking point(%) / 17. Water absorption(‰) / 18. Steam resistance / 19. Radiation resistance(rad)
|Polyvinyl chloride||PVC||-30 to +80℃||100||120||Self-extinguishing||5 to 9||3.3 to 4.5||4.10^-2||30 to 60|
|High temperature Polyvinyl chloride||PVC-HT||-30 to +105℃||120||140||Self-extinguishing||5 to 9||3.3 to 4.5||4.10^-2||30 to 60|
|Polyethylene, PE low density||LDPE||-50 to +70℃||100||100||Flammable||2.29||2.29||2.10^-4||20 to 30|
|High density PE||HDPE||-50 to +100℃||120||130||Flammable||2.32||2.32||2.10^-4||17 to 24|
|Reticulated PE(PRC or XLPE)||VPE(PRC)||-40 to +115℃||140||150||Flammable||2.4||2.32||2.10^-4||25|
|Polyurethane||PUR||-50 to +90℃||100||140||Self-extinguishing||2.9 to 4.3||2.9 to 4.3||3.10^-2||25|
|Polyamide Nylon Rilsan||PA||-30 to +105℃||125||140||Self-extinguishing||4.0||4.0||2.10^-2||30|
|PE terephtalate||PETP||-100 to +130℃||180||200||Flammable||3.4||3.5||1.10^-2||17 to 30|
|Polypropylene||PP||-10 to +110℃||140||160||Flammable||2.3||2.3||3.10^-4||20?to 40|
|Polyvinylidene chloride, Kynar, Hylar||PVDF||-40 to +135℃||150||170||Difficult to ignite||8.4||6.5||1.7.10^-1||10?to?36|
|Tetrafluorethylene, Tefzel, Hostaflon ET||ETFE||-100 to +150℃||180||270||Non-flammable||2.6||2.6||2.10^-4||36|
|Ethylene chlorofluorethylene, Halar||ECTFE||-100 to +140℃||170||240||Non-flammable||2.6||2.5||2.10^-4||39|
|Fluorethylene Propylene, Teflon, Hostaflon TF||FEP||-100 to +205℃||230||270||Non-flammable||2.1||2.1||<3.10^-4||20 to 24|
|Polyimid, Kapton||PI||-190 to +350℃||400||500||Non-flammable||3.8||3.8||2.10^-2||28|
|Polythetrafluorethylene, Teflon, Hostaflon||PTFE||-190 to +260℃||300||327||Non-flammable||2.0||2.0||2.10^-4||25|
|Perfluoralkoxy, Teflon||PFA||-190 to +260℃||280||327||Non-flammable||2.1||2.0||2.10^-4||25|
|Polyvinyl chloride||PVC||10^10||10^16||60 to 80||Good||Good||15||250||1||Very Poor||8.10^7|
|High temperature Polyvinyl chloride||PVC-HT||10^10||10^16||60 to 80||Good||Good||18||200||0.8||Poor||1.10^8|
|Polyethylene, PE low density||LDPE||–||10^17||135 to 160||Avg.||Avg.||10||400||0.03||Poor||1.10^7|
|High density PE||HDPE||–||10^17||–||Poor||Good||20||500||0.03||Poor||7.10^6|
|Reticulated PE(PRC or XLPE)||VPE(PRC)||–||10^17||–||Avg.||Good||22||300||0.03||Poor||1.10^7|
|Polyamide Nylon Rilsan||PA||10^12||10^12 to 10^16||70 to 135||Avg.||Very Good||50||200||15||Avg.||1.10^7|
|PE terephtalate||PETP||10^14||10^13 to 10^16||30 to 100||Poor||Very Good||100||50||3||Avg.||1.10^7|
|Polypropylene||PP||10^11 to 10^15||10^16 to 10^17||120 to 185||Avg.||Good||30||500||0.1||Avg.||1.10^5|
|Polyvinylidene chloride, Kynar, Hylar||PVDF||–||10^13||50 to 70||Very Poor||Very Good||45||300||0.2||Good||1.10^6|
|Tetrafluorethylene, Tefzel, Hostaflon ET||ETFE||10^14||10^16||120||Avg.||Very Good||45||200||0.2||Good||1.10^7|
|Ethylene chlorofluorethylene, Halar||ECTFE||10^14||10^16||135||Avg.||Very Good||–||200||0.2||Good||2.10^7|
|Fluorethylene Propylene, Teflon, Hostaflon TF||FEP||>10^16||>10^18||>170||Avg.||Avg.||20||250||0.1||Very Good||3.10^5|
|Polyimid, Kapton||PI||–||10^14 to 10^16||–||Avg.||Very Good||18||70||10||Avg.||1.10^10|
|Polythetrafluorethylene, Teflon, Hostaflon||PTFE||>10^16||10^18 to 10^19||>300||Poor||Good||40||350||0.05||Very Good||3.10^5|
|Perfluoralkoxy, Teflon||PFA||>10^17||–||>180||Good||Good||27.5||300||0.3||Very Good||3.10^5|
Teflon is an excellent high temperature insulation with superb electrical properties. Teflon tubing and wire insulation comes in a variety of colors and typically feels slippery. The insulation is impervious to the heat and chemicals normally encountered in electronics manufacturing but the material will “cold flow” so Teflon insulation is avoided where sharp corners or points are encountered. Laminated TFE circuit boards take advantage of Teflon’s excellent microwave characteristics. Teflon emits a dangerous gas when exposed to extreme heat. White Teflon terminals are commonly used where extremely good insulation is required. The slick surface repels water so the insulation properties are fantastic even in high humidity. High quality I.C. sockets are made from Teflon to reduce leakage currents. Teflon and Teflon composite tapes with adhesive are available. FEP is a lower temperature Teflon.
|Kinds||Chemical structure||Melting point(℃)||Continuous using temp.|
|FEP (fluorinated etylene propylene)||250~270||200|
|ETFE (ethylene tetrafluoroethylene)||270||160|
High-functional fluorine resin as Teflon(PTFE, PFA, FEP) and Tefzel(ETFE) are able to solve engineer’s worries may encounter a variety of problems through its unique characteristics not found in other resins. Teflon has various kinds of characteristics; heat-resistance, chemical inertness, excellent electrical properties, non-adhesive attributes that are occurring due to the unique molecular structure of the fluorocarbon resin. More amazing thing is that excellent and unique characteristics are in just one material, Teflon.
– Thermal resistance in high-temperature continuous use temperature : PFA(260℃), FEP(200℃), ETFE(160℃)
– Chemicals tolerance : It is almost stable to most chemicals and solvents.
– Low friction : The lowest coefficient of friction of the solid material. The wear resistance can be improved if you add inorganic fillers, such as glass resin, carbon fiber, graphite, metal powder can be used in harsh environmental conditions.
– Flammability : It is flame retardant material containing limiting oxygen index(LOI) which has more than 95%. The combustion energy is very low therefore it should not cause the second fire by flame propagation.
– Purity : Teflon except for some items that contain purity fillers is generally chemically inert and pure. It does not contain any additives such as plasticizers, stabilizers, lubricants, anti-oxidants, that the cause of the contamination.
– Low temperature properties : It has property of 5% stretch in severe condition, very low temperatures (-196 degrees). Therefore, impact resistance is better than any other resin.
– Electrical Characteristics : It has minimum dielectric constant and a loss rate of the solid insulating material. It has the maximum value against high frequency and high temperature as well as against volume and surface resistivity.
– Non-adhesive : It is the smallest surface energy among solid materials, so it has excellent adhesion and release properties.
– Weatherproof : The surface contamination, discoloration, oxidation, poor performance does not happen, if you use it under outdoor for long time for excellent weatherability,
– Resistant biodegradable : It shows inert in enzyme and microbial attack. Pure Teflon does not provide the nutrients necessary for the growth of microorganisms and enzyme and place.
|Classification||Unit||ASTM||Teflon PTFE resin||Teflon PFA resin||Teflon FEP resin||Teflon ETFE resin|
(0.7MPa · 3m/min)
|Shore-A hardness test||Durometer||D2240||D50~55||D60||D55||D75|
|Coefficient of static friction||–||0.05||–||–||–|
|Coefficient of friction||D1894||0.1||0.2||0.3||0.4|
|Thermal conductivity||W/m · k||C177||0.25||0.25||0.25||0.24|
|Coefficient of linear expansion||10??/k||D696||10||12||8.3~10.5||5.9|
|Continuous use temperature||℃||–||260||260||200||150~180|
|Heat deflection temperature
|Heat deflection temperature
|Loss rate 1MHz||D150||<0.0002||<0.0003||<0.0005||0.005|
|Dielectric breakdown strength||KV/mm
Limiting oxygen index
Nylon has good resistance to abrasion, chemicals, and high voltages and is often used to fashion electro-mechanical components. Nylon is extruded and cast and is filled with a variety of other materials to improve weathering, impact resistance, coefficient of friction, and stiffness.
A. Product Name using for our Litz Wire as insulation : SPIN Draw Yarn(SDY)
– We are able to supply DTY yarn(the property table on bottom) with litz wire as per your specification. The properties would be provided on you demand.
1) Form : Fiber with trirobal section (Bright)
2) Ingredient : Poly(ethylene terephthalate)
3) Hazard Summary
– Physical Hazards : None
– Health Hazards : None
4) Physical Data
– Glass transition temperature : 75~80℃
– Melting Point (℃) : 257~260℃
– Solubility in Water (20℃) : Insoluble
– Specific Gravity : 1.38
– Appearance : Round Filament
5) Fire & Explosion Data
– Flash Point : Not applicable
– Auto-ignition Temp. : Not applicable
– Flammable Limits(STP) : Not applicable
– Extinguishing Media : Water, Dry Chemicals. CO2 Foam
6) Reactivity Data
– Stability : Stable under normal conditions
– Incompatibility (Materials to avoid) : None
– Hazardous Decomposition Products : CO2, CO, Hydrocarbons, Smoke
– Conditions of Hazardous Polymerization : None
7) Health Hazard Information
– Ingestion : Physiologically Inert
– Skin Contact : Not hazardous
– Eye Contact : Only mechanical injury
8) Spill or Leak Procedures
– Steps to be taken If materials is released : Normal procedure for cleaning up by using a proper cleaning device.
– Neutralizing Chemicals : Not needed
– Waste Disposal Method : Should be disposed in conformance with applicable laws and regulations
9) Special Protection Information
– Ventilation Requirement : Not normally required
– Specific Personal Protective Equipment : Not normally required
– Other Clothing & Equipment : Not normally required
10) Special Precautions and Other Comments
– Storage Requirement : Store in a cool and dry place
B. Polyester Filament Yarn(PET, Polyethylene Terephthalate), using for our Litz Wire as insulation : DTY Yarn
– Specification of 167/48(Same as 150D/48)
|Test Term||Unit||Burnish Standard||Semi-Dull Result|
|Variation Coefficient of Tire(CV)||%||?1.40||0.43|
|Variation Coefficient of Tenacity(CV)||%||?8.00||2.332|
|Variation Coefficient of Elongtion (CV)||%||?10.00||5.61|
|Variation Coefficient of Crimp Contraction(CV)||%||?10.00||2.99|
|Shrinkage In Boiling Water||%||2.60±0.80||2.72|
C. The Comparative Table of silk and nylon attribute
|Flexibility||Wire Size||Applied Temperature(℃)||Served Thickness (one time)|
|Natural Silk||High||Fine Wire (0.10mm less )||80 ℃ less||Approx. 0.015~0.020|
|Nylon Thread||Medium high||General Cases||up to 170~180||Approx. 0.025~0.030|
105 °C, Polyvinyl Acetal-Phenolic, Formvar / Formacon Magnet Wire, NEMA MW15C
Formvar polyvinyl acetal and phenolic resin is a compound of synthetic enamel. The hot oil resistance Formvar magnet wire insulation, apart from all the other sets. Formvar film flexibility, adhesion and abrasion resistance is excellent debris. Its very good electrical properties, is resistant to common solvents. Formvar most commonly used in oil-filled transformer insulation film is recommended.
Polyurethane 155 °C, NEMA MW79C, IEC 317-20
Polyurethane insulation coating of the wire can be soldered without prior removal. The wire has the coordinative physical and electrical properties of most other composite film. This isolation has excellent resistance to moisture, such as used in the synthetic baking varnish is resistant to most common solvents.
– Widely used in coil and motor windings where serious overloads does not occurs.
– Widely used in coil and motor windings where solderability is important.
Polyurethane Polyamide, NEMA MW28C MW80C, IEC 317-21
The advantage of this insulation with a nylon top coating combines the characteristics of polyurethane MW79 and magnet wire insulation. Polyurethane and Polyamide has excellent solderability in the 130 and 155°C thermal class. It is widely used in coils and small motors. However, it is not recommended where severe overloads are occured.
Polyurethane 180, NEMA MW82C, IEC 317-51
The insulating thermoplastic flow (cut-through) temperature is in the range of 250°C plus. In case of normal Class 130, 155 and 180 allocated to the systems for a standard stream, it is known that molded coil working and the process conditions maximum working found in the impregnation process. Polyurethane solderable type resin coatings. It solders consistently at low temperatures, such as 390°C. The magnet wire flexibility and adhesion properties of the film are more than enough for most of all application. Polyurethane shows high dielectric strength maintaining at high humidity conditions are maintained to show. In addition, Low dissipation factor’s insulation is the main cause at high frequency. Solvent resistance properties of polyurethane are most applicable for classes of 105, 130, 180 glossy varnish, encapsulation, and treating resin. It has enhanced properties(=resistance) against salt-water compared to other solderable insulations. Therefore, it may be widely used for vessel, harbor or port field. This insulation material is used for high thermal resistance and low soldering temperatures requested. You must be careful to carry out this magnetic wire because it does not show overload resistance characteristics among most non-solderable Class 105, 130, 155 and 180 resin systems.
Polyester-imide, MW30C, IEC 317-8
It is insulated from the class H-modified polyester resin. Removal mechanical or chemical is required. In order to improve the winding resistance, good thermal durability, solvent resistance, showing a low friction co-efficient. Coil that is encapsulated, and servo motor sub fractional instrument, appliance motor, motor tool, continuous operation coil, solenoid.
Polyester Nylon, NEMA MW76C
Film insulation and nylon base coat and top coat modified polyester. DC magnetic field coil and coil dry transformers integral horsepower motors and fractional, coil, relay, and control, encapsulated.
Solderable Polyester, NEMA MW77C
Modified polyester imide is prepared by the insulated conductors in a single coat of peelable solder-modified polyester resin. Physical characteristics, is suitable for application of the coil most. More stringent requirements, such as wound stator winding of the slot is not recommended without adequate evaluation in such. By immersing in 850 ℃ easily, this film you may want to peel off from the conductor – care must be taken in order to prevent the film from over-cutting due to immersion technology 950 ° F solder pot, care is poor. Solderability is high, modified polyester imide, is specially designed coils for those applications that are combined with higher heat resistance. This is not recommended for applications subjected to high stress wound or slot in the motor winding.
Modified Polyester-amide/Polyimide, NEMA MW78C
Polyester imide modified soldering to Polyester-amide/Polyimide change, are made up of nylon coat on top of the high temperature. Has been optimized in order to solder peeling properties of the composite material is processed in the solder pot at 850 ° – 950 ° F. physical characteristics, is suitable for the application of coil most. More stringent requirements, such as winding slot stator winding is not recommended without adequate evaluation in such. Electrical characteristics are slightly affected by the moisture absorption of nylon coat. Soldering is highly modified Polyester-imide/Polyamide, and is specially designed coils for those applications that are combined with higher heat resistance. Application potential for this isolation is enhanced by the addition of the polyamide overcoat hot modified polyester basecoat.